I finished this striped quilt and busted through my fabric stash. I had been perusing Pinterest like nobody's business and am so inspired by all of the quilts that I have seen. I am learning a lot about quilting, and enjoying this whole process of making them. It is quite fun and since I'm not a serious rule follower when it comes to sewing, knitting and the like, I am finding my way of piecing these things together quite relaxing. I do believe that these creative ventures should be relaxing and not stressful. So you have a crooked line or two, no biggie. An accidental mis-cut piece, not a problem.
I used this method for the binding, which was much easier than adding the binding, and snipped some fabric off the sides to make that happen.
The back of the quilt is some leftover sear sucker. After washing the quilt, the sear sucker has softened so much it makes for a cozy warm weather covering.
I didn't use any particular pattern. I drew up a rough idea before I started to get the number of fabric pieces I needed. I then I added a couple of strips here and there too to even it out. I used 12 pieces of 45" x 2.5" inch cream fabric pieces and 12 pieces of 45" x 3.5 inch patterned pieces. I added two 3.5 inch pieces of cream and patterned pieces to the top and bottom to give the quilt some symmetry and did the same to the sides as well. The total size is 70" x 60".
Since I am new to this craft, I find it interesting that in some of the things I've read about quilting, apologies are made for the ease of certain quilts, or the simplicity of some of the modern methods. I definitely appreciate the intricacies of the beautiful artwork of some quilts, admit that I will probably not every make one of those kinds of quilts. But, I don't really get it - I'm sure I'm missing something, but with today's world being as it is, isn't simple a good thing, especially if you're a working mom who just wants to sew for her family?
Oh, this is so beautiful! Well done! I love your design and the fabrics you used. I agree that keeping it simple is a good thing! Anything, to make starting and finishing a quilt achievable, especially when we are all so busy with our little ones. They will love it, I'm sure
ReplyDelete