Monday, December 3, 2012

Oatmeal Brown Bread






My sister in law passed this easy, very forgiving, bread recipe to me. For the past few weeks, I have made it once, sometimes twice a week. It is gobbled up by all in our family and has made a great healthy snack for the kids (and myself) as well. Because I use leftover oatmeal, it has a good amount of fiber.  I have no idea what the nutritional facts would be but I do know that it is made right here, in my very own kitchen, with my very own ingredients, and that feels great!

It is eggless and does not require any milk, so if there are any allergies to those things, this is a great option!!

Here is the recipe:


1 to 1 1/2 cooked cup of oatmeal
1 tsp salt
1tsp of sugar 
1 packet of active dry yeast, dissolved in 3/4-1cup of water, warmed to 110 degrees (I use the hottest setting on the tap)
1 tblsp of butter softened
5 cups of flour
1cup of wheat flour
2/3 cup of molasses or honey or maple syrup etc


1) Dissolve yeast packet in water and add 1 tsp of sugar until the yeast foams (about 5 minutes)
2) Mix wet together
3) Add dry until consistency is on the dry dough side and coming of sides of your bowl easily (add more flour if needed)
4) Let rise in oven with light on (airtight and warm) x 1.5 to more hours. After it has risen to double it's original size, then cut in half and shape. Place three diagonal slices to top of dough if desired.
5) Place on pan, let rise again for 1-2 hours. 
6) Cook in oven at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes until dough sounds hollow when tapping. Let cool, cut and enjoy!!

I use a KitchenAid mixer to make this and do leave it for a minute or two to get the dough kneaded. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...